Sports are a great avenue to pursue at any age, and we know that organized sports have proven to be the catalyst for many great benefits throughout our lives. It can provide so much – discipline, hard work, sacrifice, and teamwork.
You’ve come to us with an interest in competing or you know someone who wants to compete. Great! You’ve come to a place that welcomes everyone. In fact, Special Olympics is the world’s largest sports organization! And, we continue to welcome more athletes, Unified Partners and coaches.
Our training and competition schedule is broken down into four seasons. You are welcome to compete in multiple sports throughout the year, and if the schedule permits, there are some athletes who currently compete in multiple sports within a season.
All of our competitions and training are available to you free of charge. If you are new to Special Olympics and want to compete, please visit our Regions page. There we have our state areas split up by geography to create local competitions leading up to qualifying for State Championships. You are welcome to either reach out directly to one of those Regional Managers, or you can complete the online Athlete Medical Form and the Regional Manager who oversees your county will contact you with next steps.
September – December
Sports offered: Volleyball, Flag Football, Bowling
- Fall State Championships
- State Flag Football: JFK High School, Denver
- Fall Classic (Bowling and Volleyball): Denver Metro Area, TBD
January – March
Sports offered: Basketball, Speed Skating, Figure Skating, Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, Snowboarding, Alpine Skiing
- Winter State Championships
- State Basketball: Gold Crown Field House, Lakewood
- State Winter Games: Copper Mountain
- State Skating: South Suburban Ice Arena, Centennial
April – June
Sports offered: Track & Field, Soccer, Powerlifting, Gymnastics, Aquatics
- Spring State Championships
- State Summer Games: Colorado Mesa University, Grand Junction
June – August
Sports offered: Tennis, Softball, Golf, Cycling, Bocce
- Summer State Championships
- State Summer Classic: Memorial Park, Colorado Springs