Athlete Leadership Overview
Athlete Leadership Programs (ALPs) allow Special Olympic Colorado (SOCO) athletes to help shape the future of the Special Olympics movement and ensure all people with intellectual disabilities have the opportunity to participate in sports training and competition that is fun and fair. ALPs train athletes to serve in meaningful leadership roles other than or in addition to sports.
Goals of Athlete Leadership Programs:
- Allow athletes self-determination of how and in what roles they will participate in Special Olympics
- Provide athletes with the training and certification, where appropriate, to properly prepare them for success
- Include athletes in positions of influence and leadership throughout the organization to help determine policy and set direction.
- Provide training and education for existing leadership as we welcome and encourage athletes in their new roles
- Recognize athletes’ ability to contribute in these roles in a meaningful way by holding them accountable to all SOCO policies and rules
Athlete Leadership Program Catalog
Athlete Input Council
This council is a forum for athletes to report to other athletes and Program leaders what is happening in their areas, voice their opinions about important issues, and gain leadership training and experience. Each area should have representatives that sit on the Council for a two-year term. There will be quarterly meetings the week prior to the Colorado State Board meetings – March, June, September, and December.
Athlete Input Council Applications are open! Qualified applicants are welcome to apply from Tuesday, Nov. 3-Tuesday, Nov. 17.
Athlete Leadership Programs University (ALPs U)
presented by Ent Credit Union
Special Olympics CO hosts its ALPs U twice a year, which provides education for athletes in a variety of leadership topics.
is Going Virtual!
Join Athlete Leadership Programs Coordinator, Stephanie Levine, for a fun social hour with your fellow athletes. Each week, athletes will play games, discuss new and exciting topics and share stories. All current and future Special Olympics Colorado athletes are welcome!!Find out more »
Questions? Reach out!
Athlete Leadership & Family Services Coordinator