Athlete Leadership Overview
Athlete Leadership Programs (ALPs) allow Special Olympic Colorado (SOCO) athletes to help shape the future of the Special Olympics movement and ensure all people with intellectual disabilities have the opportunity to participate in sports training and competition that is fun and fair. ALPs train athletes to serve in meaningful leadership roles other than or in addition to sports.
Goals of Athlete Leadership Programs:
- Allow athletes self-determination of how and in what roles they will participate in Special Olympics
- Provide athletes with the training and certification, where appropriate, to properly prepare them for success
- Include athletes in positions of influence and leadership throughout the organization to help determine policy and set direction.
- Provide training and education for existing leadership as we welcome and encourage athletes in their new roles
- Recognize athletes’ ability to contribute in these roles in a meaningful way by holding them accountable to all SOCO policies and rules
Athlete Leadership Program Catalog
Athlete Input Council
This council is a forum for athletes to report to other athletes and Program leaders what is happening in their areas, voice their opinions about important issues, and gain leadership training and experience. Each area should have representatives that sit on the Council for a two-year term. There will be quarterly meetings the week prior to the Colorado State Board meetings – March, June, September, and December.
Athlete Leadership Programs University (ALPs U)
presented by Ent Credit Union
Special Olympics CO hosts its ALPs U twice a year, which provides education for athletes in a variety of leadership topics.
is Going Virtual!
In this webinar, Terri Couwenhoven will be speaking as part of Special Olympics Colorado’s Family Health Forum. Part Two's programming is catered towards our athletes only. This is for athletes that are ages 15 and up.4:00-5:00 PM Don’t Cross The Line! Boundary Basics for Staying Safe and Appropriate In this session you will learn what a […]Find out more »
Special Olympics Colorado will be hosting a Strategic Plan Town Hall on Thursday, January 28 at 6:00 p.m. This town hall is open to everyone, including coaches, athletes, volunteers, etc. During this time, we will review our Strategic Plan and answer any questions you may have! If you are interested in attending, please click the […]Find out more »
Questions? Reach out!
Athlete Leadership & Family Services Coordinator