What is the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics?
The lit torch symbolizes Law Enforcement as the Guardians of the Flame of Hope for Special Olympics athletes. Special Olympics is a program that reaffirms our beliefs that with hope, love and dedication, we can see achievement and self-worth realized by any individual. It is our belief that through Special Olympics, persons with intellectual disabilities show the community at large the true meaning of sport.
The Law Enforcement Torch Run (LETR) currently consists of 17-20 runs leading up to the Special Olympics Colorado Summer Games. Each run is staged by Agencies throughout Colorado. The torch run is the foundation of law enforcement fundraising initiatives that Special Olympics Colorado embraces to raise needed funds and awareness for over 15,000 Special Olympics Colorado athletes served. Other LETR/CO Signature events include: Polar Plunge, Tip A Cop, Guardian of the Flame Hockey Tournament, and Plane Pull.
And what does LETR mean to Special Olympics athletes? Athletes say that ofﬁcers involved with LETR are their heroes, their friends. The officers respect and include them.
View Upcoming Law Enforcement Torch Run Events Below!
This event has been postponed. Join us at the LETR Torch Run Tribute at the Capitol presented by Smile Generation! Stay tuned for additional information, contact Jan Gordon at email@example.com to learn more!Find out more »
Join us for the Guardian of the Flame Hockey Tournament! The Guardian of the Flame (GOTF) Hockey Tournament has become one of the most popular hockey tournaments for Law Enforcement and supporters of Law Enforcement around Colorado. Over the last thirteen years our teams have raised thousands of dollars for Special Olympics Colorado. Last year, […]Find out more »
Join us for the Chili's Tip-A-Cop at Chili's restaurants throughout Colorado! Dine at any Chili's restaurant on October 11, meet local law enforcement supporters and Special Olympics Colorado athletes! Tip our law enforcement after your meal and all proceeds go back to Special Olympics Colorado! Please contact Jan Gordon with questions.Find out more »
Thank you to our 2020 LETR Sponsors!
The Smile Generation, Verizon, FORD, High Country Beverage, Rocky Mountain Law Enforcement Federal Credit Union, Chilis, Texas Roadhouse and the Spadorcia Cavo Charitable Fund.
“Partnering with Special Olympics Colorado is an important part of the Castle Rock Police Department’s community outreach efforts and is consistent with our department’s vision of One-by-One policing. Working with Special Olympics Colorado makes us better people and better police officers, which helps us thrive as individuals and as an organization.
Special Olympics athletes teach us about demonstrating empathy and compassion and how important it is to care for each other.”
– Jack Cauley | Chief of Police | Castle Rock Police Department
Be a Game Changer:
Here are a few ways to support the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics Colorado.
- Organize an LETR Torch Run in your community. Encourage your fellow officers, fire departments, schools to be part of this annual event! For more information contact Director of LETR – Jan Radnoti
- Start your own “Pop-Up” Tip-A-Cop event at a local restaurant in your community or a Badges with Buckets event. Contact Jan Radnoti for more information. 100% of the tips raised by the officers directly benefit Special Olympics CO athletes. Tip-A-Cop Kits (Aprons/envelopes,) available by contacting LETR Assistant – Stacy Cruz
- Join us for our State Tip–A-Cop events and serve your community by serving food and earning tips at Chili’s and Texas Roadhouse restaurants.
- Schedule officers to award Special Olympics CO (SOCO) athletes with ribbons and medals at competitions around Colorado. Click here to access the Calendar of events or email Stacy Cruz for more information.
- Join or organize a team for the Plane Pull presented by Subway and/or a Polar Plunge presented by Westerra event from your department. Ask a local SOCO athlete to join your team.
- Like LETR on Facebook for fundraising ideas, tips and learn more about upcoming events. Be sure to work with the staff at Special Olympics Colorado to incorporate themes and messaging. For more information contact Stacy Cruz
- Subscribe to the monthly Guardian of the Flame newsletter by contacting Stacy Cruz. We’d also love your story ideas!
- Click here to donate to LETR through ColoradoGives.org
- Visit the LETR Resources Page for LETR Contacts.
LETR Executive Council
The Colorado Law Enforcement Torch Run Council is organized for the purpose of managing, promoting, planning, coordinating and growing LETR activities throughout the state of Colorado to accomplish the stated purpose of the Colorado Law Enforcement Torch Run.
If you are interested in serving as an Agency LETR Coordinator or on an Event’s Committee, please contact Vice President of LETR, Jan Gordon.
Jan Gordon | Vice President, Law Enforcement Torch Run | (720) 359-3112
Jan Radnoti | Director, Law Enforcement Torch Run | (720) 890-2962
Stacy Cruz | Assistant, Law Enforcement Torch Run | (720) 359-3119