Special Events Internship
About Special Olympics Colorado:
Special Olympics Colorado provides year-round sports training and competition for over 20,500 athletes with intellectual disabilities and unified partners. Through the support of an amazing community of coaches, volunteers, donors, sponsors and partners, Special Olympics Colorado is able to offer hundreds of annual engagements, free of charge, to individuals age 2 and up. For more information about Special Olympics Colorado please visit SpecialOlympicsCO.org.
At Special Olympics Colorado, we’re committed to building a diverse, creative, engaged, collaborative, and hard-working team that does the right thing for our athletes, our communities, and each other. Our employees are our most valuable asset, and we celebrate this through recognition and benefit enhancements that reflect our changing times and help our employees create a satisfying work-life balance for themselves and their families.
Do you love planning events and being creative? Do you love building relationships in the community for the greater good? Special Olympics Colorado (SOCO) is looking for a fun, energetic intern to join the Special Events team! We are a small, mighty, and high-energy group with a bunch of incredible public awareness fundraising events coming this summer.
What you’ll gain from this internship:
- Organizational skills and creating logistical processes.
- Community engagement using marketing skills through phone calls and emails.
- Marketing skills – working in platforms such as Canva to create collateral for events
- Event and time management skills.
- Lots of room for creativity and design.
- Nonprofit fundraising strategies – building sponsorship decks, marketing sponsorships and managing fulfillment.
- Meet just some of the many Special Olympics Colorado athletes that you are making a difference for!
- Anytime from May 2023- October 2023 (excluding holiday break)- This may be extended past October upon request.
- 15 – 20 hrs. a week.
- Mileage stipend provided for duties related to the internship (excluding to and from work at the SOCO State Office).
- Work can be done partially or fully remotely. Ideal candidate lives in or near Denver, Boulder or Colorado Springs.
General Internship Position Description, Duties May Include:
- Assist with the overall planning and implementation of SOCO events as needed.
- Researching new business contacts, writing emails or letters, cold calls to new businesses to find appropriate contacts.
- Assist with identifying marketing and recruitment opportunities.
- Help with drafting participant and recruitment communications.
- Help with identifying prospects for event sponsorship and vendors.
- (Optional) Attend event planning meetings with the Senior Director of Events.
- Other duties related to the planning of SOCO fundraising events.
Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Silent Auction outreach and database management.
- Prospecting new businesses throughout Colorado for participation, auction items, sponsorship potential etc.
- Creating event lists (participant, vendor, to-do, etc).
- Calling businesses to invite them to donate their services, or set up a meeting to learn more about Special Olympics Colorado
- Collateral design
- And lots more ways to be creative!
This position is an unpaid internship. Hours will be documented for service learning hours and/or experience purposes .
– Cover letter (1-page or less) that includes why you want to join the Special Olympics Colorado team and why you feel this position is a good fit for you.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Special Olympics Colorado is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.