Inclusive Health Intern
The mission of Special Olympics Colorado is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendships with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
Special Olympics Colorado provides more than 100 opportunities for athletes to train and compete each year in 22 sports for individuals ages 2 and up.
Persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) experience poorly developed and supported behaviors to promote health. Special Olympics Colorado has a goal of bringing fitness and wellness programming to every team in the state. The Fitness Captain program teaches athlete leaders how to successfully lead their peers in nutrition, fitness, and healthy lifestyle behaviors. Healthy Athletes is a health screening program where healthcare professionals and students are trained to implement free screenings in an effort to educate the professional community about the health needs and abilities of persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Description of Work:
Special Olympics Colorado Inclusive Health Department is seeking an intern to help the team implement a variety of programs, including but not limited to the Healthy Athletes Program and Fitness Captain program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the Healthy Athletes Screenings
- Duties include: developing educational materials, data collection and input, program implantation/development, volunteer recruitment
- Assist with the Fitness Captain Program
- Duties Include: training Special Olympics Colorado Fitness Captains in leadership principles, leading dynamic warm ups and stretching for their sports, cooking classes, Fit5 education
- Assist in sport specific coach education
- Assist with athlete fitness testing and data collection when necessary
- Assisting at Regional and State meets
- Other duties as assigned
Training and Orientation:
- Initial training will be provided by Special Olympics Colorado staff and will include:
- The history, mission, and Health & Wellness programing of Special Olympics Colorado.
- An understanding of the current health status of Special Olympics Colorado’s athlete population and current barriers those with Intellectual Disabilities (ID) face when it comes to health care
- Further training will be provided in the field
- In depth experience with planning and implementing fitness/health programing
- Opportunity to be creative and hands on with new health programming
- Will learn about current health status and health barriers Special Olympics Colorado Athletes face
- Make a difference in the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities
Supervision: The intern will be supervised by Jena Twete, Senior Inclusive Health Manager
Education: Completing a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Public Health, Health Promotion, Wellness Promotion (or a related field). *Internship can be adjusted for Master’s level programs*
Experience: Experience in implementing, monitoring and evaluating fitness/health/wellness interventions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a responsible and professional manner
- General computer and word processing skills (i.e. Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office products)
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, as well as independently
- Ability to be self-directed and motivated
- Availability to attend team practices outside of a 9am-5pm schedule
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
- Application Deadlines: Nov. 1st (Spring Internship), April 1st (Summer), July 1st (Fall)
Please submit a resume and cover letter when completing the online application form
Questions? Contact: Jena Twete, Senior Inclusive Health Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once application is complete, applicants will be contacted by phone or email for the next step in the interview process.