Unified Champion Schools Fellowship
- About the Position: This position will support the growth and support of Unified Champion Schools programming with a focus. This role will primarily support Special Olympics Colorado staff with USC School, Unified athlete and Unified partner leadership recruitment and trainings. Stipend: $1,500
About Special Olympics Colorado:
Special Olympics Colorado provides year-round sports training and competition for more than 15,000+ athletes with intellectual disabilities and unified partners. Through the support of an amazing community of coaches, volunteers, donors, sponsors and partners, Special Olympics Colorado is able to offer hundreds of annual engagements, free of charge, to individuals age 2 and up. For more information about Special Olympics Colorado please visit SpecialOlympicsCO.org.
At Special Olympics Colorado, we’re committed to building a diverse, creative, engaged, collaborative, and hard-working team that does the right thing for our athletes, our communities, and each other. Our employees are our most valuable asset, and we celebrate this through recognition and benefit enhancements that reflect our changing times and help our employees create a satisfying work-life balance for themselves and their families.
Position Title: Fellow, Unified Champion Schools
Location: Centennial, CO (12450 E Arapahoe Rd suite C, Centennial, CO 80112)
Reports to: : Maricela Shukie – Urban Schools Manager
Hours: Approximately 15 hours per week (some flexibility possible)
Date Range: Approximately October-June
This position will support the growth and support of Unified Champion Schools programming with a focus. This role will primarily support Special Olympics Colorado staff with USC School, Unified athlete and Unified partner leadership recruitment and trainings.
- Support planning and implementation of athlete and partner trainings for Unified Champion Schools
- Support planning, recruitment and communication for all UCS initiatives such as UCS Conference, Spread the Word Campaign, Camp Shriver, Coach/Teacher appreciation events, annual Youth Summit, etc.
- Consult with various schools and staff members to determine where we can incorporate more meaningful roles for athlete leaders.
- Speak to external groups about the impact UCS has on your growth as a leader (e.g. schools, resource fairs, community partners).
- Assist with resource development to enhance current athlete leadership opportunities and programs.
- Communicate with staff members using Microsoft email, Microsoft Teams, in-person meetings, Zoom meetings, etc.
- Input athlete data into database.
- Participate in department meetings and activities as it applies to the role.
- This fellowship will be interest focused to create an opportunity that is suitable for the candidate and their long term professional goals. One agreed upon project will be researched, compiled and presented upon internship completion.
- Recruitment and Outreach Plan to help grow participation through desired project.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience in Unified Champion School Programming
- Computer skills, specifically: Email and Microsoft Word and Video Conferences
- Must be very comfortable communicating with others via email; writing, responding, and reading through long, detailed emails
- Excellent communication, accountability and organizational skills
- Professional communication & ability to respond to all emails within the business week
- Self-motivated, reliable and ability to work independently
- Open minded, asks questions when unsure
- Works well with others and is willing to continue learning new things … Has a can-do attitude!
- Experience on Youth Activation Committee
- Experience as a Special Olympics Colorado Athlete Leadership Programs University student
- Experience in coordinating events
- Experience speaking in front of groups
- Cover letter (1-page or less) that includes why you want to join the Special Olympics Colorado Unified Champion Schools team, and why you feel this position is a good fit for you.
- List of at least TWO references (Name, Title, Email ). One must be a Unified Champion School teacher or coach.
- Resume: Strongly Suggested
- A complete application is required for consideration for this position.
Please email all documents to email@example.com
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Special Olympics Colorado is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.